Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Clutch Fitness > Supplement Company Sponsors > Scivation » Groundbreaking Xtend Study Results Are In!

Notices

Scivation Scivation is committed to providing our consumers with high-quality, research-proven products to enhance performance and quality of life.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Lando33

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 0
Default Groundbreaking Xtend Study Results Are In!

Xtend is now Scientifically Proven Two Times More Effective than Whey Protein!

The first supplement ever proven to double your fat loss, double your muscle gain and double your strength when compared to whey protein!

Has Xtend Made Whey Protein Obsolete?

In a groundbreaking, double blind independent study led by Jim Stoppani, PhD, Scivation Xtend was scientifically proven to be 2 times more effective than Whey Protein. The Xtend subjects experienced 9lbs of lean muscle growth in 8 weeks. That is 2 times more than the whey protein group. The Xtend subjects lost 2 times more fat than the whey protein group. The Xtend subjects more than doubled their strength gains over the whey protein group. Imagine naturally gaining 9lbs of lean mass, losing 4 pounds of bodyfat and experiencing a massive increase in strength gains in just 8 weeks!

All of these groups were on the EXACT SAME diet and training programs provided by Jim Stoppani, PhD along with Chuck Rudolph, MEd, RD and Team Scivation (www.TeamScivation.com).

There you have it. Xtend is scientifically proven in a controlled study to be better than whey for lean mass growth and to lead to significant LEAN MASS GAINS and FAT LOSS! No other supplement can claim this!

The bottom line is that if you can afford only one supplement, Xtend is the only supplement you need. Xtend has made whey and every other supplement obsolete.

The groups and the results:

Quoted from Jim Stoppani, PhD

"The Xtend guys dropped their body fat % by 2%, gained 9 pounds of lean body weight (I call that muscle!), increased their bench press by about 15 pounds and squat by 25 pounds!

The Whey group dropped their percent body fat by 1%, gained 5 pounds of lean body weight, increased their bench press by about 5 pounds (7 pounds) and squat by about 10 pounds (11 pounds).

The Gatorade group dropped their percent body fat by less than 1%, gained 3 pounds of lean body weight, increased their bench press by almost 5 pounds (4 pounds) and squat by almost 10 pounds (8 pounds)

I round up the bench press and squat weight because you can't increase bar weight in reality by anything other than 5 pound increments."

"The Xtend group lost an average of 4 pounds of body fat.

The whey group lost and average of 2 pounds of body fat.

Gatorade group lost 1 pound of body fat."

When Will it be Presented and published?

Dr. Stoppani is going to present the study at this year's NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association) meeting in July. Then it will be submitted for publishing through various journals.

Training

Training periodization was:

Week 0: Baseline testing
Weeks 1-2: 4-5 reps
Weeks 3-4: 6-7 reps
Weeks 5-6: 8-9 reps
Weeks 7-8: 10-11 reps
Week 9: Final testing

The Diet

Designed by Chuck and Team Scivation at a 35/35/30 F/P/C ratio. All diets for each group were controlled and exactly the same. this was a hypercaloric diet. Per Chuck:

When I was doing the macro calculations, I used the Harris Benedict Equation with an activity factor related to the training program that was designed to GAIN LEAN BODY MASS, there fore these subjects were all in a HYPERcaloric state. Protein grams were figured out first with them being 2.2-2.4g/kg body weight. Due to the load and repetitions of the training program and the fact that the study was based on 10 reps (week 0) then 10 reps (Week 9), not a 1 rep max test, the typical macro ratio for each subject to gain LBM and prevent/lose bf was 30% Carb, 35% Protein and 35% Fat. The goal of the nutrition plan was to priovide calories for Lean Body Mass Gain yet BALANCE INSULIN levels with each meal. Theory being, if you balance insulin you significantly reduce any chances of storing body fat, better yet lose BF.

Each subject had the option to chose from the following protein, carbohydrate and fat sources that were already weighed properly for them. They simply had to physically weigh foods and eat:

Proteins: Egg white, NF cottage cheese, grilled boneless.skinless chicken breast, 96% Fat free LEAN sirloin/ground turkey, tuna canned in water, fresh halibut/tilapia.

Carbohydrates: Oatmeal (plain), brown rice, sweet potato/yam, whole grain pasta and whole grain bread, broccoli, asparagus, Lettuce/tomato/Cucumber, green beans, spinach, blackberries, blueberries, strawberries and bananas

Fats: Almonds, peanut butter, avocado, light salad dressing, Olive oil, walnuts

The Groups
12 per group=36 total
- males 18 - 32 years old
- minimum of 2 years consistent training
- currently not taking any supplements other than regular vitamin/minerals and regular protein shake
- Average age ended up being 26 years old.

The Parameters

Groups were:
1) 4 Scoops Xtend = 14 g BCAAs (During Training)
2) 28 grams Whey (During Training)
3) 28 grams Carbs as Gatorade (During Training) = Equal calories as the whey protein

There you have it. Xtend is the supplement that you NEED during training!
Lando33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Nic
Back To School

Friends: (14)
Referrals: 2

No sneak peak at the study or what?
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
deadliftsmith
Heavyweight

Friends: (13)
Referrals: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
No sneak peak at the study or what?
LOL, he basically gave all the details in his post
Posted via Clutch Mobile
deadliftsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
JoeD
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (12)
Referrals: 3

I believe it. There's a lot of evidence out there that 20g of BCAA is equivalent to 45grams of whey.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
deadliftsmith
Heavyweight

Right now I wish my last name was Lobliner.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Nic
Back To School

Friends: (14)
Referrals: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliftsmith View Post
LOL, he basically gave all the details in his post
Posted via Clutch Mobile
I know I just wanted to see the actual study that is all

Go check out the post I made about Layne Norton's study he did on Leucine and the effects of it on protein synthesis. Check out that study I posted here on the forums.

Spread your meals out 5 hours or so...intake a cho/bcaa(contraining 3-5g leu) in between meals to maximize protein synthesis. At least if my memory serves me correct about his study.

Last edited by Nic; 01-29-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:41 PM   #7
Kyle
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (8)
Referrals: 4

Wow..
Im conflicted..
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Quartermain
Lightweight

I lerk most of the time on this forum, but I have a few questions about this study.

1. Why was there no control group?

2. Why didn't they compare Extend to other AA sups?

3. All groups were hypercaloric, yet they all lost body while increasing lean mass.
What was the starting body fat of the test subjects?

4. Gaining 9lbs of lean mass in 8 weeks...are those gains even feasible with steroids?

5. My understanding is that whey is a polypeptide and has to be broken down to free form amino acids before it is absorbed into the blood stream and thusly muscle tissue. BCAA's are already broken down and can be used right away. Am I correct on this or no? If yes, wouldn't it make sense that BCAA's would be more beneficial during a workout?

6. Was the starting body fat of all the subjects close to each other?

7. Was the weight training experience between all of the groups similar?

8. Did all of the groups have the same starting point with regards how "fresh" they were at the beginning of the study? What i mean by that were the subjects in one group coming off of a long down time vs another group who had already been training hard for a few weeks/months (no necessarily that extreme, but same idea)?

Last edited by Quartermain; 02-04-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Quartermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #9
JoeD
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartermain View Post
I lerk most of the time on this forum, but I have a few questions about this study.

3. All groups were hypercaloric, yet they all lost body while increasing lean mass.

4. Gaining 9lbs of lean mass in 8 weeks...are those gains even feasible with steroids?

5. My understanding is that whey is a polypeptide and has to be broken down to free form amino acids before it is absorbed into the blood stream and thusly muscle tissue. BCAA's are already broken down and can be used right away. Am I correct on this or no? If yes, wouldn't it make sense that BCAA's would be more beneficial during a workout?

8. Did all of the groups have the same starting point with regards how "fresh" they were at the beginning of the study? What i mean by that were the subjects in one group coming off of a long down time vs another group who had already been training hard for a few weeks/months (no necessarily that extreme, but same idea)?

Well the study is obviously exaggerated a lot. Obviously you won't get 25 lbs on your bench either. They probably had some real newbies for the experimental group. Amino acids are nothing but the simplest form of protein. It's more efficient protein because it doesn't have to be broken down. Probably is twice is good as whey, but forget what everyone gained lol.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #10
Watcher
Heavyweight

Friends: (30)

I'm not sure about that. I've taken it religiously in the past while cutting and while I love it as an addition to my arsenal I wouldn't go as far to say it makes whey obsolete.

Loveland, Colorado, USA
"From Cradle To Coffin Shall My Wickedness Be Your Passion." ~ Nightwish
"One Way Ticket On Your Last Chance Ride, A One Way Ticket To Your Suicide" ~ Guns & Roses
LegendaryWatcher@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/legendarywatcher
Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #11
Sporto
Freak of Nature

Friends: (6)

Quote:
Sorry I just saw this, but I will try to answer your questions to the best of my ability!

Quote:
There was a control group, silly - the CARB group The only other "control" would have been "No supplement at all and diet only", but we chose to go with more popular options.

Quote:
Our primary goal with this study was to put our product Xtend to the test against more popular choices that are being used during workouts - whey protein/Gatorade. Maybe in the future we can go against FULL aminos, but full aminos in optimal ratio is honestly quite expensive. We wanted to look at Xtend vs. 2 other less expensive options and prove that Xtend is 100% worthy of the slight higher cost. As is shown, it most certainly is.

Not only that, but we picked Whey and Gatorade, the two most popular workout supplements, simply because there is a finite amount of variables you can study without spending millions on a pointless study. Let the other companies put their OWN supplements to the test. The thing is, other companies probably could care less if it actually works just as long as it sells, whereas Scivation honestly does care about the products they put out.

Quote:
The average BF% in each group was 9%, with highest being 13% and the lowest @ 5%. These are all listed in the full study that will be published shortly at the ISSN’s website. There were 36 TRAINED subjects, so it is all over the place.

Quote:
I, personally, was not stunned by these numbers. I deal with elite athletes on a daily basis and see these results with the Xtend/Insulin balancing nutrition plan all the time. Hell even the sugar (gatorade) group on HYPER cals did not gain body fat. If you still question the validity of the results, feel free to email the author. They gained what they gained in a controlled study. To question that is to honestly to insult Jim Stoppani, PhD, and that is unfair.

Quote:
Yes, you are correct, and this is the ENTIRE REASON we (myself along with Scivation) promote BCAAs as intra-workout nutrition. Plus, there is extremely limited calories and only a monophasic insulin response, hence the benefits for faster absorption of the BCAAs.

Quote:
The bodyfat was per individual. But since they were all trained males, there definitely wasn't any fat chicks Again, the average BF% in each group was 9%, with highest being 13% and the lowest @ 5%.

Quote:
There was a minimum of 2 years of weight training per person. This was NOT like most studies that only use UNTRAINED subjects to see better results.

Quote:
They were all currently training and every subject was recruited at a gym

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Well the study is obviously exaggerated a lot. Obviously you won't get 25 lbs on your bench either. They probably had some real newbies for the experimental group. Amino acids are nothing but the simplest form of protein. It's more efficient protein because it doesn't have to be broken down. Probably is twice is good as whey, but forget what everyone gained lol.
The study is not exaggerated. It's not saying you will get 25lbs on your bench. We didn't have any newbies, please see my responses above. I understand your skepticism, but this study was not your usual study. BCAAs intra-workout is by far the best type of nutrition you can have while working out. Period. And the results of not only myself, but hell, competitors all over the world speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher View Post
I'm not sure about that. I've taken it religiously in the past while cutting and while I love it as an addition to my arsenal I wouldn't go as far to say it makes whey obsolete.
It doesn't make whey obsolete, and nowhere does it claim such a thing. All the study is showing is that BCAAs are FAR SUPERIOR intra-workout than other popular forms of intra-workout nutrition. That's all it is showing. You guys are reaching and extrapolatinig things that simply arent there.

I hope I've answered your questions. Bottom line is the results are there - whether cutting, recomping, or bulking. YOu can either take it and reap the benefits, or not...that's up to you.

Sporto
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 AM   #12
blux
Lightweight

Hey Sporto,

with all respect that is due, you did contradict the OP.

Look at the third line, bold text in the first post, it says:
Quote:
Has Xtend Made Whey Protein Obsolete?
This questions is answered in the paragraph that follows and the final answer is in the final line of this paragraph:
Quote:
The bottom line is that if you can afford only one supplement, Xtend is the only supplement you need. Xtend has made whey and every other supplement obsolete.
I intentionally left 2 sentences so no one will say I am pulling things out of context. So two ways to understand this statement:
1. if you can afford only one supplement, Xtend is the one to get
2. Xtend is the only supplement you need. Xtend has made whey and every other supplement obsolete

This being said, I am just running out of my whey and am ordering Xtend today... thinking of buying it here at local store:

http://www.flexshop.si/scivation-sci...60g-p-377.html (unless you guys could recoment some other store here in central europe?)

I will check the forum some more to see what flavor would you guys recomend.

A question - is Dialene equivalent to ALR Venom Hyperdrive?
I guess the answer will be along the lines of "more or less"? The questions is what is better?

best regards,

Last edited by blux; 11-22-2010 at 04:53 AM.
blux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
deadliftsmith
Heavyweight

I would never replace my whey with BCAAs. Whey has too many pros for me, many more than BCAAs.

You are going to get more benefits with whey when compared to BCAAs. Its early, and I'm about to leave for work, but I'm sure others will chime in on this as well.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
Darkhorse
Distance Trainer

Friends: (46)
Referrals: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadliftsmith View Post
I would never replace my whey with BCAAs. Whey has too many pros for me, many more than BCAAs.

You are going to get more benefits with whey when compared to BCAAs. Its early, and I'm about to leave for work, but I'm sure others will chime in on this as well.
Absolutely agreed. People that do that think having a few whey shakes instead of meals is a good idea.

Alan Aragon has a lot of great writings about the differences between the two on his Blog. That said, people going to War for something as SIMPLE as pre/during workout nutrition is pretty lame LOL!

My belief is that you should just go bulk with BCAA's done deal. Some cirtulline malate doesn't warrent paying double to me. I still go through TP only (as low as $12 per POUND), but I'm seeing more and more supplement companies (***********, Bulk Nutrition) starting to bulk their own BCAA's as well as whey dirt cheap.

And on that note, I don't care for whey either. I LOVE the Team Skip blend from TP. 40% egg white, 30% micellar, 30% whey isolate. It depends on what you use it for.

For all training inquiries PM me.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 11-22-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote