Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Clutch Fitness > Training Forum - Sponsored by Lucharilla.com > Bodybuilding & General Training » uh oh, Shoulder snaps, pops, or grates

Notices

Bodybuilding & General Training Bodybuilding and other general training (general fitness, MMA, HIIT, cardio...) discussions, advice, tips, etc

Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
pumpkinhead
Lightweight

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 0

For the past couple of weeks I've been getting a snap, pop, or grate
during everyday use of my shoulder. I think I may have to can the
shoulder exercises for a short while.

I did some reasearch, here http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/aa58086.asp

Looks like it's pointing to a ligament or tendon.

I know that none of you guys and doctors, but did anyone ever get this?

pumpkinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Kryptic
It's on my "Unimportant Things to-do" List.

Friends: (19)
Referrals: 5

Does it cause pain?

I know that I have a slight pop in both of my shoulders. And if you were to put your hand on my shoulder joint and I was to rotate my arm in circles, you would feel the pop.

I was told by a few Trainers (Kenisiologists) to monitor it and if it starts causing pain to worry about it. Or, if the "popping' seems to be getting progressively worse, check with the Doc.
Kryptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
pumpkinhead
Lightweight

very little pain, I hardly even notice, but the popping is getting
worse, reaching for things, raising my hand above my head, puching
movement, and rotating shoulder.

I am starting to be concerned with it now.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:05 PM   #4
ProtoBuilder
Middleweight

Friends: (6)

I'm NOT a doc but I've read that the pops etc. are pretty normal and can basically be ignored unless you get pain or, like Kryptic said, it gets worse. I've got pops in my shoulders when i rotate them, etc. No pain though and I've got a good ROM.

A doc will probably tell you to start doing RC stuff, start stretching,and avoid heavy weights! LoL
ProtoBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
pumpkinhead
Lightweight

Seems to be coming more often just in daily activity. I know for
a fact that the weights did not cause it, because since day 1 of side
lateral raises it popped, as well as with dumbell flyes, and Dumbbell
Extensions.

When I go to the Doc, I am not going to be totally honest and
tell them I have been lifting the last 4 months, I will tell him that I
had been more physical, like playing ball, swimming, biking etc. . .I
don't think my insurance company will be too happy about me pulling up
the weights without going to get a checkup first . . .

Could any body else run through some of those exercise ranges witthout weights and let me know if they notice it?

Thanks

PH

Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 AM   #6
TMack40
Cosby Team Triosby

Friends: (5)

My right shoulder snaps, crackles, and pops all the time. I hurt it but never went to a doctor to get properly diagnosed some time ago playing football/flat bb benching multiple times a week. It comes and it goes. Sometimes it pops so loud other people can hear it. BB chest work seems to aggrevate it the most out of anything and thus Ive finally learned to avoid such exercises. I had consistently tried to reintroduce flat bbbenching (no idea why really) and constantly reaggrevated it sometimes to the point where like you said, I couldnt even raise my arm up more than parallel to the ground. Cissus helped, transdermal celadrin has helped a bit, but quitting bb work has been the most help. Currently, Id say my shoulder is the best its been in years.

I would tell you to avoid doing things that cause it, but for you its the opposite of what it was for me so thats not really feasible. So my best advice is to go seethat doc as soon as possible, prob a good idea to skip the weighlifting details, esp since they dont seem to be the cause.
TMack40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 05:50 AM   #7
Mr BJ
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMack40

BB chest work seems to aggrevate it the most out of anything and thus Ive finally learned to avoid such exercises. I had consistently tried to reintroduce flat bbbenching (no idea why really) and constantly reaggrevated it sometimes to the point where like you said, I couldnt even raise my arm up more than parallel to the ground.

Couldn't agree more....problem could be more common then most realize....I do DB bench for this reason about 95% of the time....the 5% was last night....if felt pretty good with moderate weight (up to 185)...I'll go right back to DB's next time and only do BB for light supplemental work in a few weeks....my shoulders feel the best they had in many years and I'm going to do my best to keep it that way !!!!!

Mr BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
pumpkinhead
Lightweight

Thanks, you guys have been a big help.

I am going to lay off the shoulders and just stretch them till I get to
a doc. I may also do more conectrated and solitary db excercises
when I get back into the shoulders.

PH

Old 09-12-2005, 02:10 PM   #9
Leah
working on a little belly

Friends: (19)
Referrals: 1

It could be getting worse due to muscular imbalances. You've probably been hitting your front and side delts really hard and they're getting much stronger. But your rear delts are not keeping up. I did the same when I first started and have had issues with my shoulders ever since. I don't actually do any direct front delt work anymore. I've been hitting my rear delts twice a week and I've noticed that it's been getting better and there is less popping and grinding.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #10
YoungBuk

I get that too quite often, as well as snapping in my elbows. I find that doing light rotator cuff movements with db's before my shoulder werkout really helps. but ya check it out with the doc b4.
YoungBuk is offline   Reply With Quote