Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Clutch Fitness > Nutrition & Diet > General Nutrition & Health » Organic White Bread vs. Inorganic Whole Grain Bread

Notices

General Nutrition & Health Dieting strategies, programs, and all things metabolic

Old 11-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #1
yawn

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 0
Default Organic White Bread vs. Inorganic Whole Grain Bread

I know whole grain bread is typically supposed to be better than white bread, but what if the white bread is organic?
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
Nic
Back To School

Friends: (14)
Referrals: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawn View Post
I know whole grain bread is typically supposed to be better than white bread, but what if the white bread is organic?
basically the organic foods are grown with out your standard pesticides, fertilizers, artificial additives, free from contact with human waste, and free from ionizing radiation.

Think of this...which has less calories.."organic" sugar or plain old sugar. The same. I remember a friend of mine downing these organic popsicles and she would say that they werent bad because they were organic. ........idiot

Organic doesnt really change the macronutrient profile at all. Being organic it may be higher in micronutrients(vitamins & minerals) but personally I dont like the idea of paying twice as much for something just because the word organic is put before its name. I would assume organic white bread is processed just like normal white bread it just came from a farming practice and made to standards that I listed above. I would still go with the wheat bread, or try ezekiel bread.

I guess to answer your question it depends. Yes it would be healthier due to the manufacturing process...but macronutrient wise...hell no it is probably the same when you look at the back of the package. I don't put much emphasis on buying organic foods. I cant justify the cost for what I am buying.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
w8girl
Heavyweight

Friends: (28)
Referrals: 1

Organic or no, I like the density and the fact that the grains aren't stripped of their nutrients in whole grain bread like they are in white. It's the same reason I eat the skin on a baked potato if I'm going to have a potato. But as Nic said, alot of that is just personal preference too.
I'm picturing you in a Pretty Woman pose at the dining room table with nothing on but a tie and the lighter on your stomach. Your hubby gets home and you wink at him and say "I've got something for you", then you hold up the lighter and say "its guuuunnnnnnnnmetal." - Mr_Chris777
w8girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
outkastin2g
Lightweight

grains in general arent very nutritious when compared to fruits and veggies, and the glycemic load difference between white and wheat is similar. that being said, if you are going to eat them, may as well go with the one with the better micro profile.
outkastin2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #5
Showdown
Middleweight

Friends: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic View Post
basically the organic foods are grown with out your standard pesticides, fertilizers, artificial additives, free from contact with human waste, and free from ionizing radiation.
However, the real problem is that there is no strong government or private agency which regulates the level or trueness of each food's organic quality.

For instance, you can buy organic chicken and non-organic chicken, and while the organic chicken might have be steroid free, it may have been fed grain that contained pesticides and lived in the same horrible conditions as the non-organic chicken. So there's a real question about the level of organic quality.

I've heard the rule of thumb is to buy from local farmers, but who's going to visit a local farm and inspect his/her operation?

I don't want to lift my weights and your weights. Re-rack your damn weights!!!
Showdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #6
deadliftsmith
Heavyweight

Friends: (13)

Organic is a big sham to make more money. Its like buying bottled water, which is just tap water, and in some cases worse....lol.
White and wheat aren't even that different. You're fooling yourself if you think there is a huge difference between a Sara Lee white and a Sara Lee wheat. Just look at the ingredient profile and make a logical decision.
Organic vs natural is a choice that should be based on your personal view on organic foods and "regular" foods. If you believe in organic, then you wouldn't settle for regular and the choice should be simple.
Posted via Clutch Mobile
deadliftsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
yawn

Aiite, what you guys are saying is generally what I initially believed. However, a family member told me to eat the organic white bread instead because it cost more (presumably meaning it was better). It tasted just like regular white bread, and I could sort of tell that it was nutritionally lacking. So I guess I'll go back to eating my bland, tasteless breads.
yawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
julz
Elder Statesman

Friends: (10)

Yes.
julz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #9
Kyle
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (8)
Referrals: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdown View Post
However, the real problem is that there is no strong government or private agency which regulates the level or trueness of each food's organic quality.

For instance, you can buy organic chicken and non-organic chicken, and while the organic chicken might have be steroid free, it may have been fed grain that contained pesticides and lived in the same horrible conditions as the non-organic chicken. So there's a real question about the level of organic quality.

I've heard the rule of thumb is to buy from local farmers, but who's going to visit a local farm and inspect his/her operation?
Good point here.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Nic
Back To School

Friends: (14)
Referrals: 2

Im selling wonder bread for $10 a loaf if your parents would like to buy some!
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Showdown
Middleweight

Friends: (33)

Is it organic wonder bread? Because YES! (of course I'm speaking for my parents. not me.)

I don't want to lift my weights and your weights. Re-rack your damn weights!!!
Showdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:41 AM   #12
fit2thebone

I try to stay away from any white bread, even if it says organic always try to stick to Whole grain
fit2thebone is offline   Reply With Quote