Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Notices

Bodybuilding & General Training Bodybuilding and other general training (general fitness, MMA, HIIT, cardio...) discussions, advice, tips, etc

View Poll Results: Do you train with a partner?
yes 9 21.95%
no 32 78.05%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
banderbe
Lightweight

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 3
Default Do you train with a partner?

Yes/no.

I'm wondering how advantageous training with someone is. Will you eventually get to a place training alone where you won't be able to put on more mass without someone training with you to assist in certain lifts??

I've trained alone for the past year since I started lifting.. so far I don't see a need for a training partner.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Ozz
Detroit Muscle

Friends: (24)
Referrals: 11

It depends on the training style, at least IMO. While I was doing a mix of PL/bodybuilding training I needed my partner there for the PL portion of it.

When I do DC Training I don't even WANT a partner there. When I do a density/hypertrophy mix (I just ended doing this last week) I had a partner for half the workouts but didn't require him or care if he even showed up.

Most the time if they're not 100% in the same mindset they'll just slow down the entire session, but it is nice having someone there w/you the whole time. On the other hand, it's also nice to just get in, lift, and leave. My longtime training partner (not the guy I mentioned above) was good because he knew when to STFU and lift and follow my lead. The guy I had for the last month or so would want to chat endlessly and I had to keep telling him to get going w/the weights.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
FlabLoser
Lightweight

Referrals: 0

I'm on a pace when I workout. Don't want a partner slowing me down.
FlabLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Nic
Back To School

Friends: (14)
Referrals: 2

No. Maybe I would if someone wanted to do the same style of training. If anything I just like having a friend in the gym for a quick spot or to chat when Im done training. I have been flying solo for a while and found I have gotten better results.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
nickstarr007
Lightweight

I had trained the last 2 years with a partner and about 2 months ago we parted ways and have started training independently as he found himself a girl, and work got on top of him (in other words, he wasn't in the right mindset mentioned by MansonOzz above).

We had started DC, and I was responding really well where as he wasn't (due to the other factors I'm guessing), and he wasn't liking it as I increased my weights week after week and he failed to do so as well as I had, so it was a case of him throwing in the towel and me telling him I'd had enough of the bs!

I had initially thought I was going to start losing strength and size without a dedicated spotter, but it has been a blessing in disguise as my strengths has increased even more on my lifts without a partner and I've added good mass! I know others in the gym who are more than willing to spot should I need it...

No hate at all, but can't wait to train together again sometime
nickstarr007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
floods
ἐξαιρέω

Friends: (36)
Referrals: 1

Unless you count Jeff Hanneman, Anders Björler, and Dimebag Darrel as gym partners, then no.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM   #7
outkastin2g
Lightweight

no partners for me....i want to get stronger...but functionally, so the way i see it if i cant move it on my own im not strong enough to move it.
outkastin2g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #8
BeeF_SooPrEEmE
Lightweight

Friends: (4)

I train with a partner. Helps out with the motivation I think. Especially during cardio. I HATE cardio, having a partner gets me through it otherwise I drive myself nuts talkin to myself haha

I notice a lot of people dont like having a partner but i think that in my case its because we've been workin out since football in highschool so we can pretty much keep the same pace
BeeF_SooPrEEmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
Crom
Heavyweight

Friends: (39)

dimebag Darrel?? hahahhaha
Crom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
MPJ
Lightweight

Friends: (1)

Dave Mustain is my gym partner!

I've trained maybe three times with a partner.
MPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
Elle

I have never had a regular training partner. I much rather train alone.

The 2 temporary training partners I've had were both women. Too bad they moved because they were cool (collegiate level hockey player and a figure competitor).

My ex tried training with me, but he tried to act all macho trying to show me what to do and crap....besides, his awful form was sooooooooooooo embarrassing.
Elle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #12
big
He really is!

Friends: (10)
Default as far as I'm concerned

if you are able to hook up with the right person,there is nothing better then training with a partner,
not just anyone.
sometimes a partner can bring you down.
as long as both of you are on the same page as they say,the extra push the
input and help is so valuable.
having the right person train with you gives you another opinion from someone that watches your every move,and cares about how you do.
they will correct things that you are unable to see for yourself,and analize you from their perspective.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #13
big
He really is!

Default training partners

over the long period of time that i have trained,i have had only 2 partners.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #14
big
He really is!

Default im sorry pushed the wrong button

both of them were my best freinds at the time.
i hired both of them to be asst.mgrs.at the co. i worked for.
they both were into contest training and entered the same contests that i did.
they cared about me and how i did,even though they wanted to beat me in the competition.
we talked and came up with training programs that we both liked.
as far as im concerned that other pair of eyes evaluating me all the time,was something that money couldnt buy.
the desire to do well for them as well as myself also gave me an extra push.
im sure that if you get hooked up with the wrong person,you could really have a ongoing problem.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #15
Kryptic
It's on my "Unimportant Things to-do" List.

Friends: (19)
Referrals: 5

Not currently though. Much like MO said, it doesn't really make sense most of the time because they aren't really as mentally "prepared" and just schluff off.

I will say that the few times that I've trained with my strength coach were awesome. Wish I could do it more often.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #16
widding
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MansonOzz View Post
Most the time if they're not 100% in the same mindset they'll just slow down the entire session,
The reason why i train alone.
I have max effort 2times pr week and 1 RE day.

On my uperbody ME i just ask someone nicely to stand behind me one set and tell say thanks afterwards.
On Me lowerbody i use the Power Rack.
On RE uperbody if i use Bench press i just ask if someone mind to stand behind me.

THe only problem is that if you have to ask someone random they might feel the urge to give "tips" etc but i really dont think training partner is necessary unless you find someone as dedicated as yourself and train in a gym where you can scream and really help each other out!
Which my gym really isnt about so i dont mind having a training partner when the enviorment is not there.. (Funny story: I ask if they could play some DMX music or something... They didnt think i was serious and just laughed)

Conclusion: If i find a gym that plays DMX or other hardcore rap/rock ill drop the headset find a partner.
Untill that i will train alone with my mp3 and no eye contact policy

Last edited by Ozz; 04-24-2008 at 08:52 AM.
widding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Ozz
Detroit Muscle

Boy, you should hear the awful light rock/alternative BS they play in my gym at night. Before satellite radio we had the local hard rock station on all the time, and it's been progressively worse as the years go on now. When I train alone I have my Ipod, but when I have a partner I'm thusly subjected to awful music
Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #18
floods
ἐξαιρέω

Friends: (36)

Quote:
Boy, you should hear the awful light rock/alternative BS they play in my gym at night. Before satellite radio we had the local hard rock station on all the time, and it's been progressively worse as the years go on now. When I train alone I have my Ipod, but when I have a partner I'm thusly subjected to awful music
Man, I think that's universal with corporate gyms though.

I have this crazy idealistic thought that one day I could have a workout partner. And this partner and I could go through an entire workout with our headphones on and not say a word to each other but know what one another is doing and help each other out while keeping our focus and intensity.

[/daydream]
Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #19
Ozz
Detroit Muscle

My partner is actually good like that, seeing as he just follows my lead on the first set and does what I do. Sometimes I have to point things out to him of course, because I'm the one who comes up w/the workouts (he's just along for the ride!)

I remember once we were in quite the disagreement over something and for about 3-4 workouts in a row, from when he picked me up at home to when he dropped me off, we didn't say a single word to each other.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #20
widding
Lightweight

Quote:
I remember once we were in quite the disagreement over something and for about 3-4 workouts in a row, from when he picked me up at home to when he dropped me off, we didn't say a single word to each other.
Hahah im just picturing that..
Same thing happened a year ago when i had a partner.. We had an misunderstanding and he almost slapt me with a 50lbs dumbbell..
And after that we didnt say a word to each other and we stopped working out together:P
Still friends
widding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #21
julz
Elder Statesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post
over the long period of time that i have trained,i have had only 2 partners.
^^ditto^^

I have a bad tendency to "break" them, so I just train alone and get an occasional spot if needed.
julz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #22
rgamez
Lightweight

no, sometimes i workout at odd times
rgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #23
mrakwaters
Middleweight

Friends: (38)

I just started training with a trainer. He's a well known, local competition champ and I've found him to be quite helpful. We do a lot of exercises I can't do alone (ie. throwing my legs) and now I do them with my sisters. I find it beneficial in some aspects to have a partner, but I still do plenty of my training on my own.

"Democracy is not something that you believe in, or something that you hang your hat on. It's something that you do, you participate. Without participation, democracy crumbles and fails. If you participate, you win, and the future is yours."-Abbie Hoffman
mrakwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #24
Fireproof
The Chief

Friends: (64)
Referrals: 36

My crazy work schedule precludes me from having a partner. Sometimes I work out before work, sometimes during lunch, sometimes after work.

But if I had a consistent schedule AND a partner and I could agree on a split and routine, then I think it would be great to have someone pushing me all the time (and vice-versa).

Current Phase: De-fatting
Training and Diet Secrets!
Fireproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #25
blaargracer
Middleweight

I do not train with a partner currently. In some senses it is an alluring prospect not to have a partner. It's like I am a solitary individual with nothing to beat but gravity and emotional insubordination to the demands of my will. Like an Ayn Rand book or the philosophy of Immanual Kant(Rand disagreed with Kant a lot), I am a sole individual working out my own path and making myself into what I want/ought to be. Tragically those philosophers' whole projects were wrong, there is more to life than being a solitary individual, indeed the fact that we were born not even against our will but before we had one should evidence that we need others. So as alluring as that image is it is a pile of crap in the real world.

There is also something pragmatic about training alone though. I can train at 6am before work. I can train at 3am after work. I can train at 12pm if I want to train in the heat. I can listen to lame music or good music. I learn the discipline of doing unpleasant things(having a partner helps with this too though).

But aside from the things training alone has going for it, the fact of the matter is that as far as I can go on sets alone, even further than with an audience sometimes, I can typically go much further if I have a partner with similar goals pushing me to continue. The fact that one is actually helping another when you have a partner is a good things as well. But having a competent partner that can help me with forced reps, by cussing at me, and telling me to watch my form is nice.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #26
BeeF_SooPrEEmE
Lightweight

Ive only trained with one person other than that if I don't work out with him its just me and my Ipod
BeeF_SooPrEEmE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #27
redguard40

no partner for me, when i lift it's all out and planned out. Training with a real dedicated partner can be beneficial but their hard to come by so unless their 100% there with you they get in the way, they do for me anyways.
redguard40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #28
Future
Lightweight

My wife and I train together.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #29
black&gold
Lightweight

I used to have one before I moved away. It worked out great for the both of us. since I came to Texas, no.
black&gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #30
mrdiode
Lightweight

can't. i work at an odd speed. plus i hate relying on someone else.

i usually ask a random for a spot when needed tho.
mrdiode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #31
NadineC

When I do cardio, it helps to train with a partner, yes. A little extra motivation and music is a must. Music videos if you got a TV screen.
NadineC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:28 AM   #32
Little Big Guy
Lightweight

My training pertner is also my eating partner, this is when he really pushes me.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #33
Danwahoo
Lightweight

No training partner, just me and my iPod as well. However, I could find it good to have a partner to push you ALWAYS and to be there to spot you when you do
Danwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #34
Brown Beast
Lightweight

Friends: (12)

I don't know anybody else that gets up early in the morning to train at the gym, let alone trains at a gym. I am weird that way in that the group of friends/family I hang out with are not into sports or fitness at all, but I am crazy about it. By no means do they hold me back from training though, so I am grateful for that after hearing stories of people whose friends were not very accepting.

I could see how a training partner would help with spotting and so on, but I feel good training by myself as I can always go at my own pace and I don't feel like I have to show up my partner due to my competitive nature. I can just focus on getting what needs to be done for my goals.
Brown Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #35
MHD

Ideally that would be nice.

Although since I have been going to the same gym now at about the same time I have got to know who takes it more serious and can provide a good spot when I need one.
MHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #36
Macattack99
Lightweight

Friends: (5)

I really like to train with someone as I find I push myself harder but no one in my group of friends workouts often so it's never been a regular partner...
Macattack99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
vealboy
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (12)

I never have trained with anyone on a regular basis, but I think you are right, I would likely push my self more if I had a partner. This would be good for doing PR attempts. You never will regret having a spotter.
vealboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #38
mjc565
Team Lucharilla

prefer without a partner now that I am full on with more conditioning work. My partner isn't a big fan of it and doesn't really see the importance of doing it...Might as well just do it all by myself.

Also, as long as I have some house music playin on my iPod..I'm good to go.
mjc565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #39
AK37
Team Lucharilla

Friends: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc565 View Post

Also, as long as I have some house music playin on my iPod..I'm good to go.
AK37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:28 PM   #40
Karmatix
Lightweight

I train by myself. I've thought about trying to get a friend to go with me, but as a lot of people have said I feel they would just slow me down. None of my friends go to the gym, or understand anything about training. They get confused when I try to explain my routine to them after they ask me "what do you do for ____ (body part)?", so I doubt they would be able to keep up. It would be nice to have someone that was trying to gain and we could kinda keep eachother eating enough though. Diet seems to be a bigger struggle to me than anything I do in the gym.
Karmatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #41
Nic
Back To School

I have off and on for years. I do prefer to train alone but if someone wants to I really don't mind. We usually will use different programming but it is nice to have a spotter on occasion that knows exactly how you want it done.
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote