Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Notices

Bodybuilding & General Training Bodybuilding and other general training (general fitness, MMA, HIIT, cardio...) discussions, advice, tips, etc

Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 0
Default I need a routine

Hi all,

New to the boards. 24 years old, 5'5, around 154-158 lbs.. I train for size and to look good. I want to have a good looking phsique. Im not too bad now, but i'm struggling to find an ideal workout routine. I've done many different things in the past from Iron Addicts Simple Power based routine, to bodybuilding splits, to the exmgtoo routine, to Lyle Mcdonalds generic bulking routine. I've found that doing the powerbuilding (IA's simple power based routine) got me bigger, but since doing a routine more volume oriented and not really adding weight to the bar as often , I feel like I have grew even more and look even better. My goal is to get as big as possible, while also remaining somewhat lean. I want a big chest, arms, etc... I don't know which way to go routine wise. When I was lifting for strength/powerbuilding my lifts were as follows:
bench -250x3
squat 280x5
deadlift - 315x5

The problem with the powerbuilding/strength training, besides the fact that I didn't think I got optimal results was this: After those weights got so damn heavy it was tough as hell for me. Like if I didnt get a great night sleep (8 hours), or eat well the whole day, then I wouldnt be able to hit all the reps or lift the weights. Its like I needed to do SOO MUCH and be SO 100% on, and with life thats not always the easiest thing to do. So i was looking for a good hypertrophy routine for my goals.. if anyone could help me that would be great..
bbingdreams69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Darkhorse
Distance Trainer

Friends: (46)
Referrals: 17

Jon? If that's you that emailed me this morning, THANKS for joining!

Honestly, it sounds like you would be much better served training with a reduced TM (training max). That's what I do with my clients and I'll let them chyme in. Simply put, you don't need to be lifting your near maximal weights every workout week in and week out in order to get stronger. And if you like volume, there's no reason why IMO you'd be better served with a BP split vs. working most of the body every session.

For all training inquiries PM me.
Darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Darkhorse, hey,

I'm doing what you said joined the forum, trying to interact and meet other people you train.. Can't seem to know where to find them though.

Thanks for your info though. A BP split- do you mean like hitting each muscle once a week?
i.e.
Chest
Back/Bi
Legs
Shoulders/traps

Anyway, if you can link me to some of your clients that would be great man!!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
eccy
Team Lucharilla

Friends: (1)

hey there,
one of the clients. any questions feel free to ask here or pm me
eccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Hey thanks.. Decided im gonna work with him later when my financial situation is a little better. If anyone else can give me some advice on where to go routine wise that would be appreciated
Old 04-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Darkhorse
Distance Trainer

As stated via email - My article HERE would be a terrific place to start.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Thanks man, what a great read!

I put something together based on what you said.. Was wondering your input..

Upper Day
A1) Bench Press 4x6-8
A2) Chins 3xfailure
B1) Paused DB Press 5x10
B2) Barbell Rows 3x10
C1) Triceps Extensions 3x12
Curls 3x15
D1) DB Side Raises 3x10

Lower
A) Full Squats
3 x 10

B) Deficit Deadlifts
3 x 10 (if a 2nd lower day is added this will be lunges)

C1) Pull throughs
5 x 6

C2) Crunches 3xfailure weighted

D1) Db Dhrugs 5 x 15
calf raises 3x15

Upper 2
A1) Incline Bench
3x10

A2) Chins
3 x 5

B1) DB Press Bench
3 x 10

B2) Pulldowns
3 x 12

C1) Skull Crushers
5 x 8

D1) Hammer Curls 3x15...

Hows that look? And, if I wanted to possibly add a 4th day with another lower, the other lower would look like:

A) Defecit Deadlift 3x10 (If doing this 4th day, id take the defecit dead out on first lower day and replace with split squats, lunges or leg press )
B1) Leg Curls 3x10
B2) Calf Raises 3x20
C1) Facepulls 3x10
Old 04-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

OOps.. forgot shoulder work on 2nd upper day.. so

A1) Incline Press 3x10
A2) Chins 3x10 (optional)
B1) DB bench Press 3x10
band upright rows 2x20
B2) Pull downs 3x12
C1) Skullcrushers 5x8
D1) Hammer Curls 3x15
Old 04-14-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
sean8701
Team Lucharilla

Friends: (2)

hey man, welcome to clutch. I'm also a trainee of Dan's.

Dan has really helped me a lot, and I know he will steer you in the right direction.

One Thing That Dan has told me more times than I can count is:

Don't add any fluff. I think you would be more than set with 3 days, adding a 4th day will eventually cut into your recovery. and why train 4 days when you can get equal or greater results in 3? If you follow his template as laid out, you are set. then go from there.

I only do a two day per week training plan, and I am hitting PRs, all the time!
sean8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Hey thanks.. I added the 4th day because it seems when I train 4 days vs 3 days I lean out more.. Maybe due to the fact that im burning more calories with a 4th day i dont know.. but my good friend has found the same thing..

I'm sitting at around 11-15% bodyfat .. so as much as i wanna get bigger muscles and look like im juicing,, i also wanna be somewhat lean.. thats why i have the 4th day.. as for the fluff.. the reason i added more chest work is because my chest has always been somewhat hard to bring up.. even at 150-155 lbs benching 250 my chest didnt come up.. it did start coming up however when i added more volume and exercises, and higher reps.. so thats where that fluff comes in.. same with my arms.. my triceps got bigger when i addded more direct tricep work.

would still love some help putting togther a solid plan
Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
Darkhorse
Distance Trainer

Check out my latest Elitefts article which should provide you with some context and may help you out more than you know..

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...s/mass-attack/

Maybe benching 250x3 didn't bring your chest up to snuff, but perhaps 315x5 will. I recommend finding a balance between strength training (as progressive overload needs to be the driving force behind ANY successful programming) and the higher rep stuff. In your case, you'd be better served bridging the gap.

I hear what you're saying about lifting near maximal loads which just goes to show how beneficial working submax (reduced training percentages) really works like my guys are on. Look into Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 which is a very, VERY effective way of gaining strength and mass.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Nice article man, I like it, like all your articles!

--I have read alot about Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 and I appreciate the idea.. I never really thought about doing it, as I always looked at it as more of a "powerlifting" routine, but after reading your article, that thought kind of changes. 5/3/1 your always increasing your LOAD, which according to you is what will bring your muscles up.

If I did do 5/3/1, which template do you recommend I use? You know size/aestetics is my main goal, so which would you reccommend? I want something that has a good frequency, so that my muscles are not just hit 1ce a week.

AKA- I don't want a routine like this:
Day 1 - Bench 5/3/1
chest accessory work
tricep work

Day 2 - Deadlift 5/3/1
back and bi accesory work

Day 3 - Millitary Press 5/3/1
shoulder accesory work

Day 4 - Squat 5 /3/ 1
leg accy work

etc, etc where the msucle is only getting bombed once a week.. I'd rather a higher frequncy if possible.

Also, once I find a good template- if im NOT in a calorie surplus, because your article talks about LOAD AND Calorie Surplus.. like say im cutting, or eating at maintenanc.. and im continually getting stronger- am i going to look better and have a better phsique?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Darkhorse
Distance Trainer

What about a full body style of template where the frequency is very high and all the underlining principles are still in place?

I wrote about it HERE

Another route I'd advise is to look into your exercise selection for overlapping what what you wrote. I remember you stated that you loved my overlapping articles (or someone else as I get a lot of emails LOL). In any event, if you were to do something like OHP 5/3/1 followed by a lot of dips and pull-ups, doesn't that make it an "upper body" routine vs. a shoulder day? Same goes for bench followed by a ton of rows and shoulder work.

The point is that you can't think in terms of adding in each exercise to work a particular body part vs. using compound exercises that work multiple body parts.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
bbingdreams69
Lightweight

Thanks.. another cool read. I dont think ill go with full body or 5 3 1. So I guess I should try to just come up with my own workout, I dont know guess ill try to figure it out. Thanks though
Posted via Clutch Mobile