Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Clutch Fitness > Training Forum - Sponsored by Lucharilla.com > Training Systems » 3 Exercises that seem dead

Notices

Training Systems Overviews and discussions of various training systems and programs for powerbuilding, bodybuilding, strength training, or general fitness.

Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
JoeD
Light Heavyweight

Friends: (12)
Referrals: 3
Default 3 Exercises that seem dead

As I was lifting the other day I was thinking to myself "Man there are some really really good lifts, that no one does anymore at the gym" OBVIOUSLY, the squats and the deads are 1 and 2 , and they have been for a long time now...but what else is weird is this:

1 - Heavy dips are a rarity. SOMETIMES, you'll see someone doing them, but with half ass form and just body weight. That's a shame, I have never seen anyone with small arms who could dip a LOT of weight for reps. Nate from Lucharilla comes to mind he used to dip a ton and his tricep development is just insane. There is also evidence that suggests that dips hits the triceps harder than any other tricep exercise, and all 3 heads with close grip bench a close second.

2 - Heavy Chins - These are a little bit more popular, but again, the reps are half reps at best and just body weight. And again, nothing hits all the elbow flexors (biceps, brachialis, radiobrachialias, forearm muscles) as hard as chins do. And of course, they make your back wide as hell. Rack chins anyone?

For the record, Iron Addict (Wesley) used to say he thought you should be able to do at least 12 strict pull ups and 20 strict dips before you go on to any direct arm work since together they will hit your arms the hardest and build the most strength the quickest... I would say that should be right.

3. Overhead Pressing - Again these are a little more popular then the former but I rarely see these at the gym and again, if I do, it's half reps to the forehead!!! I used to not put OHP in my programs because my delts got hit hard by other pressing movements but Jim Wendler actually convinced me to give it a shot for helping out my bench. Louie was a big fan as well. Turns out, I believe it did have an effect on my bench and I also love OHP because they are a true test of strength if you do them strictly. And if you're into that sort've thing I think they are much more "functional" than the flat bb bench seeing as if you were to lift something you probably wouldn't lift it straight out in front of you. They are a mixed bag whether it helps bench or not, but if you're a power builder, and not a PL competitor I think it's a great lift to shoot for big #s on regardless of carry over. It was Ed Coan who said his bench really took off when personally bumped up his behind the neck pressing for OHP strength...but, its just so rare you go into a gym and see a guy or girl owning a good OHP

Obviously machines killed a lot of the good lifts, but even the new "strength and conditioning" franchises out there don't seem like they are promoting many of the good lifts. one company called "MVP" is is renting out a section of the gym and despite their GnHR, bands, and dl/oly platform/bumper plates I have yet to see any of their kids do any lifts that would turn them into a beast.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
kram
Lightweight

Friends: (4)
Referrals: 0

All true Joe! I see verrrrrrrrrrrry few ppl do deads/squats with any appreciable weight & good form.

Even less do OHP/Dips/Chins & the ones that do rarely move any weight. I get strange looks when strapping plates to myself for chins/dips. Even stranger looks if I do pull-thru's.
kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
leveraged_buyout
Lightweight

Friends: (0)

Hang cleans are VERY rarely seen in a gym nowadays. Or cleans in general. Snatches are NEVER seen.
leveraged_buyout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
JoeD
Light Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram View Post
All true Joe! I see verrrrrrrrrrrry few ppl do deads/squats with any appreciable weight & good form.

Even less do OHP/Dips/Chins & the ones that do rarely move any weight. I get strange looks when strapping plates to myself for chins/dips. Even stranger looks if I do pull-thru's.
haha same!!!

@ LB - aside from athletic circles oly lifting was never really big. I only been lifting since 2001 too , so it could've been way bigger before that.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
quadancer
Middleweight

Friends: (11)
Referrals: 2

We see so many half-reps nowadays, I don't even pay attention anymore.
On the upside, I'm seeing a lot of lunges being done now.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
thaigleshmk
Lightweight

Friends: (1)

I dip with 45lb + my bw. you mad?
thaigleshmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
miked 96
DISTANCE TRAINER

Friends: (10)
Referrals: 1

I am very mad since I use 3 45 plates.

miked 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
JoeD
Light Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigleshmk View Post
yea because I think @ your weight 1 45 lb is more than what I work with considering my bw.... are u mad that mike has you beat pretty good?!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #9
miked 96
DISTANCE TRAINER

Friends: (10)
Referrals: 1

Thats probably the only thing I can beat him in!

miked 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
sbjones
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigleshmk View Post
Depends--what's your BW?

Then we can decide if
sbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
thaigleshmk
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked 96 View Post
I am very mad since I use 3 45 plates.
Oh god damn. That's crazy mike. Haha I wish I can dip that much.

Being 270lbs +45lb plate, I already feel like a king when repping these out for four sets. But man, if I see you dipping 3 plates, that's just crazy Mike! Impressive!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #12
thaigleshmk
Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjones View Post
Depends--what's your BW?

Then we can decide if
LOL. Hahahaha that's hilarious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
sbjones
Lightweight

Damn, I do dips with a 50-lb. DB on the belt, but at a BW of around 165, I'm still over a plate away from your BW.
sbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
jsdadx2
Lightweight

A few of the older guys at my gym claim that dips hurt their shoulders---I, for one have not had that happen to me.
jsdadx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
HIThopper
Lightweight

Friends: (3)

I love chins, always done them seriously. dips just dont agree with me though.
HIThopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
bfoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda143 View Post
I did little dead lifts and if you ask me than load of horse is shit and more than dead lifts as we do. I prefer doing squats and feel shoulder's workout as dead life too. because it makes me cry sometimes. What about you friends.
Say What ?
bfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
quadancer
Middleweight

Friends: (11)
Referrals: 2

Huh???
Hire a proof reader?