Become a Clutch Fitness member, Register today!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Navigation »Clutch Fitness > Nutrition & Diet > General Nutrition & Health » Best Workouts for Abs

Notices

General Nutrition & Health Dieting strategies, programs, and all things metabolic

Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
RedDiamond

Friends: (0)
Referrals: 0
Thumbs up Best Workouts for Abs

A Unique Ab Workout that Doesn’t contain your Typical Boring Stomach Exercises – No crunches or situps here.

Instead of the typical ab routines that we see so often with crunches, situps, leg lifts, etc… I like to give my readers better options for metabolism-boosting high intensity workouts that work their entire body while also working their abs… thus building rock hard abs & core, but also creating a much better fat-burning workout than a typical ab workout.

I’m going to show you an example today of one of my favorite “ab workouts” that doesn’t include any direct “ab exercises” at all. It’s in a tri-set format (similar to a super-set but alternating between 3 exercises).

Here they are:
1. Renegade Dumbbell Rows
2. Front Squats with Barbell
3. Mountain Climbers on Floor

A good rep scheme to use with this could be 3-4 sets of 8 reps for each exercise, or more sets for less reps, such as 5 sets of 5 reps of each exercise. Mountain climbers can be done for a time interval (such as 30 seconds) instead of “reps”.

1) Renegade dumbbell rows are done starting in a pushup position with the hands on 2 dumbbells. You then row one dumbbell up while stabilizing your body with the other arm. Bring the dumbbell back to the ground and alternate the rowing arm while stabilizing with the opposite arm. This stabilizing effect during the rows creates incredible work for your entire midsection core area. Trust me… you’ll feel it in the abs!

2) Front squats are done similar to back squats, however with the barbell in front of your body on the front of your shoulders instead of resting on the upper back as in back squats. You stabilize the barbell on your shoulders by crossing your arms and pushing your fists into the bar against your shoulders while keeping your elbows out in front of the body.
This takes a little practice at first, so you will want to seek a professional trainer at your gym to help you with the form. Front squats require extreme stabilization strength from the abs due to the barbell weight being shifted to the front of the body instead of the back. Even though this is mostly a leg exercise, you’ll feel this one in the abs big time!

3) Mountain climbers are done by starting in a pushup position and then shuffling your feet in and out so that your knees are moving in under your chest and then back out to starting position. It sort of resembles climbing a mountain but flat on the floor. If you want an advanced version, you can also shuffle your hands 8-10 inches forward and backward in addition to the leg movements. This really makes it a full body exercise and MUCH more difficult than standard mountain climbers.

After finishing each exercise, rest about 30 seconds before starting the next exercise. Rest about 1-2 minutes after completing each “tri-set” before repeating.

This will give you one of the best ab workouts you’ve ever had without even doing any direct ab exercises. You’ll see what I mean after you try it!

This is just a sampling of some of the killer ideas you’ll discover in The Truth about Six Pack Abs Program.

To your Health & Success!
RD

Last edited by Ozz; 08-23-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: removed link.
RedDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
quadancer
Middleweight

Friends: (11)
Referrals: 2

While it sounds good, I'd be loathe to do squats of any kind on any day but squat day.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
zoebisch01
Lightweight

Normally what I like to do is get a sack full of canned meat(SPAM is the perfect size). I hold them to my head and do situps. It's nice because they are 1 lb increments and when you are done...BAM! Instant protein and fat to help with muscle growth and recovery.
zoebisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
ravenshroud

My friends tell me that doing actual sit ups or crunches simply makes you look fatter unless you are 15% or less body fat.

They say just do normal exercises and abs will get worked.

Sound right?
ravenshroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:21 PM   #5
Ozz
Detroit Muscle

Friends: (24)
Referrals: 11

Mostly. It depends what the exercises are and what your genetics are like. I know some people who are around 14-15% and have visible abs, yet others who don't show until they reach single digit body fat. Seems most people are somewhere in the middle.

Many squat lifts will work your abs, along with other standing/balance work. It's also correct that you could not work your abs directly and still have a killer six-pack when you get lean.
Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
quadancer
Middleweight

Perfect answer Oz. And most people don't realize that squats are a killer ab exercise, so they're already DOING abs to a good degree. I'm one of those who situps will totally make me look bulbous. I always had a 1" gut from spinal deflection to the front (I forget what it's called) plus muscle, plus a layer of fat. But I show some detail even at 15%, and anyone who touches my GHUT is always surprised that it's hard, not soft.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
quadancer
Middleweight

Dbl post

Last edited by quadancer; 10-27-2010 at 06:53 AM.
quadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
stillsore
Lightweight

Friends: (6)

a little off topic here but i tried and tried to have some visible abs for the longest time. i incorporate some core work in every workout and then also do one specific movement at the end of training. i was getting really discouraged because similar to quadancer, they felt great but couldn't be seen. and then one day they just popped out and made it all worth it. i didn't change anything that i can remember but they really did just show up overnight.
stillsore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
juggy38

Heavy deads, squats, weighted pullups.....

i might throw in a little lower ab work now and then....leg raises ect.
juggy38 is offline   Reply With Quote